Monday, March 17, 2008

Fight Club


With Spring Training nearing an end, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top for the #4 and #5 spot in the rotation. Let's look at possible candidates:


Nomo: 11 IP, 5.73 ERA, 11K, 2BB, 1 HR

I think Nomo has impressed most fans with his quick start, but his momentum has slowed his last few outings. His strikeout to walk ratio is very good. My prediction: Not making rotation


Tomko: 10.2 IP, 10.13 ERA, 7K, 3BB, 2 HR

I WAS actually excited thinking Tomko WOULD be a good candidate for our last rotation spot...yikes!!! My prediction: Not making rotation


Bale: 9 IP, 4.00 ERA, 7K, 1BB, 1 HR

Has looked very solid this spring. I would consider him to be a finalist, but I still don't see him cracking the starting rotation. My prediction: Close but no cigar (i personally think he deserves a spot, but will be a good long relief pitcher instead).


Davies: 9 IP, 4.00 ERA, 5K, 2 BB, 2 HR

Like Bale, I've been happy with his performance. I still think he was a good pickup last season, and feel he will be in the rotation at some point this season...just not to start. My prediction: Eventually cracking rotation


De La Rosa: 8.1 IP, 7.56 ERA, 5K, 6 BB, 1 HR

I would have expected him to be the #4 starter to start spring training...but not very good numbers. I believe his past experience will give him the edge over other deserving candidates for the #5 spot. My prediction: #5 starter...but not for long


Hochevar: 8.0 IP, 2.25 ERA, 3K, 1BB, 0 HR

Strong spring, good numbers, deserving of spot. My prediction: #4 starter for the season


Well there you have it, just my thoughts on how things would stand as of today.
Image reference: kcroyals.com

No comments: